• Immigration
    • The processes of obtaining proper documentation to live and work in Indonesia can seem like an endless maze of bureaucracy. New laws and regulations, lack of posted regulations, irregular application of existing regulations, vested interests and other matters complicate what one would think would be a relatively smooth processing of paperwork for foreigners to live and work in Indonesia.
    • We have one of the largest and most experiences visa and immigration practices in the business. Our clients include private individuals, corporations, immigration law firms and relocation management companies.
    • Binka can take the pain out of applying for a visa in Indonesia, helping with your application and updating you when it’s ready. We will constantly update you of the application status and renewal dates for all of your visas—all in one place.
    • Please remember that immigration laws may change without notice. For current and detailed information regarding updates as well as documentary requirements, processing times and any other information pertaining to your specific needs, contact us today.

Our immigration services manage hundreds of visa applications every year for national and international companies. Our experienced immigration experts and migration agents handle the immigration process for you and provide simple reporting and guidance on immigration matters.

  • Expatriate Work and Stay Permits
    • The following information will help to guide you to understand the documents needed by expatriates working and staying in Indonesia. The Department of Manpower issues regulation on this matter in form of a list of professional position in every positions in every business sector which are open for the employment of expatriate personnel. However, it has relaxed this list a great deal and continues to consider further relaxations accordingly. An expatriate wishing to take up or continue employment in Indonesia must possess a work permit (IMTA). Work permits are also required to be possessed by expatriates who hold the post of directors.
      • First we apply for the (1) UU No. 7 / 1981 (Compulsory Company Manpower Report) from the Regional Department of Manpower (DEPNAKER WILAYAH).
      • To apply for the IMTA (expatriate work permit) and temporary stay permit (KITAS) the PMA/PMDN company would submit the
      • RPTKA (Foreign Manpower Utilization Plan – The RPTKA is a foreign worker utilization plan that will outline his position in the company, the duration of his terms, details of other foreign employees, etc. It is on the basis of the RPTKA that work permits (IMTA) are issued. To obtain this RPTKA, the employer (also referred to as the “Sponsor” – sponsoring the expatriate concerned) must submit an application to the Manpower Department; RPTKA approval is based on Expose Procedure/interview at the Ministry of Manpower re the need to hire foreign expert . The approval depends on the suitability for the job such as age, qualifications and work experience./
      • Pre-IMTA/Pre Working Permit is replacing the TA-01 ( recommendation for working visa ) process as per the latest Manpower regulation of 2016. The Pre-IMTA should first be approved where the maximum duration given for the position is decided at this stage before finally proceeding to IMTA by depositing Payment Evidence of Skill and Development Fund (Dana Pengembangan Keahlian dan Ketrampilan/ “DKPTKA”) levy/Fee
The Sponsor must pay DKPTKA in the amount of US$ 100 per month per foreign employee to offset the costs of training Indonesian nationals, and the amount must be paid  upfront or amounting to US$ 600 for 6 months IMTA or USD 1200 for 1 year depends on the approval stated in TA-01. to BNI bank on behalf of Manpower Account, The green duplicate copy receipt is attached to process the IMTA in Manpower Department. IMTA/Work Permit allows foreign national to be employed in Indonesia. This TA-01. is valid for 30 days from the date of issuance. If levy is not paid during this period , it becomes void and we have to apply for new TA-01.
      • VITAS or VBS (Limited Stay Visa or Semi Permanent Residence Visa). With IMTA in hand (attached ), the VITAS application may be submitted to the Directorate General of Immigration (DGI) in Jakarta, Indonesia for VITAS (telex visa) approval. If the VITAS application is accepted, the DGI will send a telex conveying the approval to the applicant/agency and the Indonesian Embassy / Consulate General where the foreign worker is to pick up the approval and to get the VITAS stamped on his / her passport. Foreign workers of certain countries of origin intending to work in Indonesia can only pick up their VITAS in the Indonesia Embassy / Consulate General in their country of origin. The VITAS will allow the foreign worker with single entry into Indonesia.
        • Entry Permit
          Upon arrival in Indonesia, the VITAS holder will obtain an Entry Permit at the Immigration Check-Point (stamped by the immigration officer on the Passport).
  • KITAS ( now ITAS)- Limited Stay Permit Card The foreign worker should submit the application for the Limited Stay Permit to the Regional Immigration office ( KANIM) with your passport and embarkation card within not later than thirty days upon his/her arrival in Indonesia (proven by the Entry Permit), for his/her photo image/biometric and fingerprint. At this point, the process of transforming the VITAS visa into KITAS card (ITAS) (Residency Permit) starts. The KITAS follows the same validity as IMTA
  • IMTA (Izin Memperkerjakan Tenaga Asing or IMTA)- Work Permits for Expatriate
The IMTA is a permit to employ a foreign worker by the employer for a certain function and for the period of time stated in the IMTA. The IMTA and the KITAS expire one year from the date of the issuance, but they are extendable.
    • If the IMTA/KITAS is valid for 6 months or less it is NOT extendable. After obtaining all of the above mentioned required documents, the foreign worker can legally conduct working activities in Indonesia.
  • In certain regional areas, after obtaining KITAS and IMTA, foreign workers are also required to obtain the following (depending upon the respective regional regulations): a. Report Letter (Surat Tanda Melapor or “STM”);
b. Identity Card for Foreign Citizen (Kartu Identitas Pendatang or “KIP”);
c. Report on Foreign Citizen Existence (Surat Keterangan Melapor or “SKT”).
  • MERP (Multiple Exit Re Entry Permit)
    • To leave and Re-Enter Indonesia for holder of Residency Permit (KITAS) to be used many times with the same validity as KITAS
  • Things to consider about work permits under regulation 16/2015 in Indonesia
  • Have appropriate educational qualifications for the position;
  • Have certificates of competency or at least five years of work experience relevant to the position
  • Provide a statement letter describing how the mandatory transfer of knowledge and skills to the Indonesian counterparts will be effected and evidenced by training reports;
  • Provide evidence of an insurance policy with an Indonesian insurance entity;
  • Hold an Indonesian Taxpayer Registration Number (NPWP) if they have been working in Indonesia for more than six months;
  • Be enrolled in the National Social Security System ( Jaminan Sosial Nasional) if they have been working in Indonesia for more than 6 months
  • The company hiring you will need to prove your expertise to the Indonesian government and prove why they could not hire an Indonesian national to do the job.
  • Expats can be deported for “abusing” their work permits. This usually means that the expat is working in a position different to what it says on their work permit. If your business card states a slightly different role to what is on your work permit, (e.g. Finance Director instead of Managing Director) this is ground for deportation. Expats should also ensure that their work address on their work permit is the same as the address on their business card.
  • Expats should also consider that the work permit actually belongs to the company, not to the employee, so if they lose their job they no longer have a work permit for Indonesia.
  • Work Contracts
    • A foreign worker is required to have a work contract with the company that is providing the job in Indonesia. The duration of the contract is normally 1 year, with extension possibility. Only certain job positions are available to foreign workers.
  • There is no mandatory requirement for an expatriate to obtain a driver’s license. However, the driver’s license can be obtained by applying for it to the Indonesian Police Office. The cost is around US$ 110
  • There are a number of international schools in Indonesia’s big cities. Expatriates can lease a house or an apartment in Indonesia. An expatriate can own property, but the types and ownership titles that are available to foreign nationalities are limited.
  • Investors do not get tax benefits from providing their employees with housing allowance. Expatriate workers in Indonesia are subject to Indonesian income tax, unless there is a tax treaty between the expatriate’s country of origin and Indonesia – in which case the tax amount will be reduced/less.
  • Other Visa Types
    • Visa-Free Short Visit for Tourist
      • The following countries do not require a visa to enter Indonesia for a short visit of up to 30 (thirty) days.